Monday, November 30, 2009

Collaborate online with Scribblar

A few weeks ago, I was working with a debate class while they were researching their latest topics. One group of boys grabbed a small dry erase board to map out their ideas and decide who was doing what. Toward the end of the period, I went over to check in and see if they had copied the information down somewhere. "No, we took a picture of it with our phones," they told me. Genius! I never would have thought of it. But I knew that somewhere out there, someone in the world of Web 2.0 had gone even further. That's when I found Scribblar.

Scribblar is an online interactive collaboration tool that functions very much in the same way as that little dry erase board. Multiple members can log in to a session and create content and chat. There is no user name or password, just a URL that one person creates and shares with the other members of the group.

Here's a quick tour to get you started. In the hands of students, the possibilities are endless. Just step back and watch the ways they'll use it.



Need a full-screen version of this tutorial? Click here.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    thanks for the great review of Scribblar. I'm the founder of muchosmedia, the company who developed Scribblar. Please could you email me at stefan AT muchosmedia DOT com - I have a few questions I'd like to ask you.

    Regards

    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, scribblar was bought out by google, I guess, and it will exist no longer.
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi lindargeorge - fortunately for you (and unfortunately for me) Scribblar is alive and well, and has not been acquired by google. You got us mixed up with Etherpad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it still possible to use Scribblar without registering? The demo took me into a session that someone else had already started....not what I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane,
    It does appear as though you now have to register to use Scribblar. I think I would go in and set up my student's groups ahead of time and then give each group their URL. I'm fairly sure they will then be able to access the work space without having to sign up.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete