Saturday, January 23, 2010

Newbery winner defies categorization

When You Reach Me When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This will be such a difficult book to explain and sell to students because it really transcends genre. If I call it science fiction, those seeking action, aliens, and intergalactic travel will be disappointed, but ultimately, that's what it is. I got to hear Susan Beth Pfeffer speak recently and she said she had no idea that Life as We Knew It was science fiction until she began reading reviews of her own book. This book has that same feel to it. It's not about time travel; it's about growing up.
I'm also afraid that this is one of those books that adults love, but is lost on kids. I once had a student who told me, "I won't read any book with a gold seal on the cover. Those things are the kiss of death. The books are always boring." In many cases, she was right.
Perhaps the best thing I could do is recommend this book to all of my adult friends. Perhaps some of them will read it aloud to a child in their lives, and a ripple effect will begin. So, adult readers of this blog, get reading!

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment